Monday, August 15, 2011

Preparing for China!

Hey guys! I'm Krysta DiBenedetto and this is my first blog - ever! Throughout my duration of the fall 2011 term in China I will be blogging about my experiences. This is such a great opportunity and I'm so excited I'm practically speechless. I would really like to thank Florida International University's Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism for first allowing me the opportunity to expand my education through study abroad and secondly for choosing me as one of the participants to receive a very appreciated scholarship. A special thanks to Dawn Fagnan for putting up with my million questions and emails along with the ten other students questions and emails. Dawn has stayed so patient with us all and have really helped out, even with the multiple times she has had to redo visa applications paperwork AND class scheduling paperwork due to so many changes. Thanks Dawn! (And I know I'm not speaking just for myself on that one.)

Anyways, time to get to business. Approximately 76 hours from now I will be at Fort Lauderdale International Airport, beginning my journey to China. Most people would think I would be prepared for this trip by now, but in actuality I'm far from it. Let's just say that the only thing I have done is shop and buy suitcases. I really need to pack! There is just so much to take in while packing. I mean who honestly knows how to pack to go off to a foreign country for four months? This trip is going to contain a lot of "first times" for me. So far it's my first time leaving the country, my first time obtaining a passport and a visa, my first time being on a plane for over 13 hours, my first time being away from home for 4 months, my first time experiencing a new culture, and my list can go on and on!

I want to share with you all one of my biggest questions I have for myself and that question being, "What do you hope to gain from this experience?" Truth is so many people have been asking me this question and I give them answers, but now I'm actually pondering the question. So my answer? Well, first off I really hope to expand my mind. I mean I have lived in the same place my whole life. I have no idea what it's really like on the other side of the world. Sure I read about it online and see it in the news, but no one really knows what something is like until you have tried it, seen it, or done it. It's like someone who has never tasted ice cream before. They can go online to research it and asks others how it tastes and whats it like, but that some one will never truly understand it or get it until they try the ice cream themselves. (Ice cream was the first example that came to mind, because I love it too much!) I also hope to learn about my life values. By being completely away from everything I'm hoping to realize what exactly I take for granted and what truly is important in my life. We always hear the saying, "you don't know what you got until it's gone." Well, that's exactly what I'm hoping to find out. I could go on and on about what I want to gain because there are so many things. I mean after all this is a life changing experience and an awesome one at that!

I think I can get used to this blog thing very fast. :-) I am honored to be able to share my experiences, thoughts, and feelings throughout my study abroad in China. If you have any questions, comment and I promise to answer back quickly! You can also send me an e-mail which I check almost regularly.

Email: krysta[dot] dibenedetto [at] gmail [dot] com

Tags: FIU Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management, Study Abroad China, Blog

1 comment:

  1. Yay Krysta! I can't wait to read about your adventures. You seem pretty great at this blogging thing so far... keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete