Tuesday, September 6, 2011

It's Already Week 3 :-(

Ni Hao! (Hello) I can't believe that it's already my 3rd week in China! I look at it as I only have 13 weeks left :-( As you can see I picked up on some Mandarin! The language is sooo hard, but I'm slowly, but surely learning a few key words as well as some funny words of course! We stayed in Tianjin this past weekend to try and settle down. Most of us have been sick (except me!) and so it was a good idea that we stayed "home." Speaking of sick, one of the study abroad students Justin ha been really sick, so bad in fact that the other night at 3 a.m. I went with him to the hospital. I wouldn't wish on anyone to have to go to the hospital we went too! I will be completely honest, it was disguising and scary and was making me sick to my stomach. But, at least Justin got his medicine and is feeling much better.

On the better side, I LOVE CHINA! I still really don't have any complaints except for the pollution. I wish it was more clear outside, even the students who live here complain about the pollution in Tianjin. As Alex had mentioned, the students are awesome! They are all so loyal and helpful. It amazes me each time I see them, how well-rounded and truly good people they are. I made friends with a few girls who decided to take us out at night. (Yes, the Chinese know how to party!) Their names are Tusi, Yi Fang, Ye Na, and Xuan. These girls are awesome and have been a lot of help. They all have English names and most of them thing it is real "cool" to have an English name, but I have learned their Chinese names and I try to pronounce it right, because that's what I like to call them. I don't think these students should be required to have an English name. I try my best to learn their Chinese one if I can pronounce it. My perspective is that I was born as Krysta and that is what I wish to continue to be called, and these girls were born with a name, and that's what they should forever be called. Just because we are American and speak English doesn't mean everyone has to bend over backwards to make things easier for us.

It can be frustrating at times when there is difficulty and confusion in our daily things, such as ordering food. I know a lot of people wouldn't be able to handle this. The ladies in the Canteen that we eat at often don't speak English and some students get mad, like it is their fault that they can't speak English, but I see it as a push to learn the language. As Alex had said, we play a lot of charades. I don't mind it though. After all, this is a learning experience!

Last night for dinner we ate DONKEY! It was delicious. I couldn't believe how much I liked it. The lady making it, thinly sliced the donkey with a cleaver and mixed in some peppers, which I think were cubanelles, and something that looked like pure, raw fat! We later found out that it is a mixture of meat, flowers and corn starch? Yeah I'm confused on that too. Anyways, it was then put into this freshly baked bun. It was so good that I ate 3 of them! I love food. Alex and I most definitely have that in common!

School is so so here. Everyday there is more homework and more projects and more quizzes. Blah, blah, blah. Don't get me wrong, I want to learn and further my education, but I also want a lot of free time so I can hang out more with the students and see all I can see in China! Well, it looks like it is lunch time! I will be on again soon! Don't forget to comment or email me at: krysta [dot] dibenedetto [at] gmail [dot] com.

3 comments:

  1. Krysta, I hope Alex and all students are feeling better already. Send them our best wishes,please. I agree with you about Chinese students not having to adopt an English name; it is a barrier to cultural exchange. Keep us posted & looking forward to seeing more pictures from your adventures! @mihaelapl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krysta, I love it reading through your experience so far in China. Seems like your having a great time! Shout out to you regarding the language thing as a learning opportunity instead of as an obstacle. Way to go! Wish you a great and a life-changing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krysta, I love reading your blog! I am planning on studying in China for Fall of 2012 and can't wait. I'm already getting excited to be over there. Reading your blog just makes it that more exciting to know that the same things you are going through and doing I will be in just a few months. I totally agree with you about the Chinese students and their english names. I have become close with a few here at school and I always try to use their Chinese name. Hope you're having a great time, can't wait to read more about your time. :)

    ReplyDelete